Karen and Piano with Soul
Before immigrating to Australia I worked for nearly 20 years within the Primary school system in UK as a Music Coordinator and class teacher. As such, I have extensive experience working with a diverse range of students, including the highly gifted and those with particular educational or emotional needs.
The last 10 years have been devoted purely to the development of Piano with Soul, where learning to play the piano becomes a unique and individualised journey of Self-discovery and Self-formation.
Every learner is their own unique person. Each one has their own learning style, needs and unique path. Part of the expertise that developed through my years within the school system and also through subsequent years as a mentor and counsellor, was the ability to work with the whole person and support each one to find their own authentic direction and expression.
Through Piano with Soul, playing the piano is about building (and often re-building) that connection with what is deepest inside. Sessions are about helping a learner to return to that place of wholeness within and from there to explore their innate creativity, power and expression into the world. Learning and playing flows naturally in this.
Piano with Soul is for those for whom enjoyment, creative expression, well-being and wholeness are just as important as learning to play the piano.
My experience includes :
- Writing whole school music curriculum with responsibility for staff training and delivery.
- Specialist music teaching – orchestras / bands, singing/choirs.
- Musical direction of school productions and performances.
- Member of the Oxfordshire County Music team – leading groups of young musicians in weekend workshops, conducting joint school productions.
- Creation of “The Clean Slate Campaign” : a 6 week program of integrated learning experiences across the whole school designed to mark the beginning of the new millennium with attention to the developmental journey of each individual, the integrity and ethics of the school and to the ongoing care of the planet. This program was adopted by educational authorities throughout UK and run by many schools at this time.
- Facilitation of Rite of Passage work eg with year 6 as they moved onto secondary school.
- Awarded Leading Teacher status – 2002.
- 30 years working as a piano/music teacher.
- 10 years working as a mentor and counsellor.